My Training & Certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach
GSC Program Summary
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coaching certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training, an exam and participation in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “the Sleep Lady”). Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach.
Some of my training topics included:
- Basic counseling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr. Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr. Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR
4-5 Month Old Certification
The GSC Program also includes an exclusive advanced training series directly centered around how to gently work with babies 4 and 5 months of age. This program which I have also completed consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship.
Some of the curriculum training topics include:
- In depth knowledge of the delicate nature of infants under 6 months of age and how to consider all elements of their well-being.
- Current evidence based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the 4-6 month old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This specialty training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of babies 4-6 months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.
Infant Mental Health Educational Courses
I've received my certificate badge in Infant Mental Health, by the Child Sleep Institute. The 30-hour course is held over 15 classes with topics including:
- Introduction to Infant Mental Health and Early Development
- Understanding Brain Development in the Early Years
- The Importance of Attachment to Development
- The Development of Regulation in the Early Years
- The Impact of Early Trauma on Development
- Parental Depression
- The Impact of Poor Parental Mental Health on a Child
- Common Disorders of Early Childhood
- Creating Developmental Support Plans
Click here to read more about this course.
I'm also a graduate of The Wonder Weeks Academy. I've completed the Infant Mental Health and Development Foundation Program.
I am also a member of Association of Professional Sleep Consultants as well as the International Association of Child Sleep Consultants.